This week I refashioned a Maheshwari silk sari using McCall’s 7544 pattern. I know you’re thinking I’m insane for pairing silk with casual top pattern but I was feeling adventurous. I imagined this being a part of a date night ensemble. A comfy, yet flirty top that could be paired with white skinny jeans and gold shoes.
McCall’s 7544 is a new release in the Early Spring 2017 Collection. I purchased the pattern online from the McCall’s website for $2.49 (Retail $11.25.) The pattern variations are described as loose-fitting tops with pleated or gathered yokes (i.e. babydoll tops.) The recommended fabrics are lightweight fabrics such as cottons, rayon challis and crepe de chine. For this review, I constructed View B.
Easy. It has very short instructions that are easy to follow. There is some hand-sewing to secure the yoke lining but depending on your fabric selection, you can get away with ‘stitching in the ditch.’
Maheshwari Silk Sari. This Sari was purchased at a shopping mall in India for 2,975Rs ($56 USD) back in 2012. This sari is about 5 yards in length (45″ width) and meant to be worn for a more formal occasion. It’s not too slippery in texture but it is lightweight, sheer and delicate. It was probably hand woven.
As you’ll come to learn, I’m pretty tall (6’0” to be exact.) So I increased the waist length by 1 inch and I did not hem the bodice the 1 ½ inches as noted on the pattern. In lieu of a hem, I utilized the sari’s original border for the sleeves and bodice hems. Overall, I increased the bodice by 2.5 inches and the arm by 5/8 inch. These adjustments allow for the garment to fall at my hipline.
I created French seams to close up the sides of the bodice and armholes and set the sleeves using this technique as well. I also topstitched on the shoulder seams to flatten the French seams.
First lesson is to avoid using a serger to secure seams on sheer fabrics. I did not use French seams to close the back or attach the yoke. You can faintly see the threads from serging in those areas. It’s not totally ruined plus the light colored camisole helps to camouflage this little flub.
Second lesson is to always read the finish garment measurements. I have large arms and should have made some adjustments to the sleeves. I tried on the garment on before adding the sleeves and it fit nicely. However, after attaching the sleeve, it was then realized I should have given myself more ease.
I really like the pattern and I will definitely make it again. It’s very versatile and can be worn with a variety of bottoms such as shorts, pants, leggings and skirts. Also depending on your fabric selection, you can easily dress it up or down. On my next go-round, I will use a fabric that is easier to work with like a cotton or cotton blend. I’ll definitely make the necessary sleeve adjustments as well.
Hope you all enjoyed this review. Please like, comment and follow.